Culinary Arts - Le Bouveret Campus
Our Le Bouveret campus is delighted to offer our first Diploma In Vegetarian Culinary Arts.
Vegetarian-focused studies have gained in popularity in recent years, as awareness about the benefits of a meat-free lifestyle are gaining traction. Iceland is leading the way, with nearly 25 restaurants per million inhabitants, but the rest of Europe is catching up quickly, and the UK’s current vegetarian population is estimated at over 9 million people.
Including essential and gourmet classes in Culinary Arts and Pastry & Desserts, you will also learn service etiquette, the importance of balancing nutrition and health and the importance of strict hygiene protocols.
An excursion will be organised to industry pillars in the local community each term, ranging from a chocolate factory tour to a sensory lab visit.
The Kitchen Experience
Our experienced and decorated chef instructors teach culinary demonstrations in front of the class to explain each technique. Students then practice the techniques learned during the demonstration with chef guidance every step of the way. While a kitchen is a disciplined environment, the teaching style remains approachable and light-hearted.
Students who enrol and complete at least 2 consecutive terms qualify for a paid full-time internship in Switzerland or abroad. For those students completing an internship in Switzerland, language courses may become a mandatory part of the programme in preparation for the placement.
*Minimum gross monthly salary in Switzerland: CHF 2,212.-
Discover the Culinary World
Le Bouveret Campus
Term 1 (11 weeks) - Essentials of Vegetarian Culinary Arts
Term 2 (11 weeks) - Gourmet Vegetarian Cuisine
Optional Internship (4-6 months) - Worldwide internship (local conditions apply) or paid in Switzerland*
Diploma in Vegetarian Culinary Arts
Essentials of Culinary Arts
- Essentials of Vegetarian Cooking
- This module covers the practical aspects of the essentials of vegetarian cooking and helps students to understand the development of vegetarian cuisine and the influence of other dietary requirements. Students will be exposed to various cooking techniques and gain competencies applied to vegetables, legumes, starches, and grains. Students will learn about international vegetarian cooking, super foods, healthy breakfasts, vegetarian food on the go, and how to create creative, tasty, and healthy plant-based dishes. Along with this practical module, students will also learn about nutrition and food safety and the philosophy underlying a plant-based diet.
- Essentials of Vegan Pastry & Desserts
- In this module, students will learn the basics of vegan sweets, pastries, and desserts, as well as contemporary approaches to creative plant-based dessert making. Students will also focus on pastry substitute ingredients that can be used in the preparation of traditional desserts.
- The Chef's Tool Kit
- These modules cover the essential skills needed for a chef: food safety and sanitation, nutrition for a healthy diet, an overview of culinary trends, and how to create interesting and profitable menus. Modules covered:
- Food Hygiene and Sanitation
- Menus & Recipes
- Culinary Trends
- Nutrition & Health for Vegetarian Diets I
Award: Certificate in Vegetarian Culinary Arts
Gourmet Vegetarian Cuisine
- Gourmet Vegetarian Cuisine
- In this module, students will develop their vegetarian cooking skills to apply them to fine dining experiences. Principles and techniques of fine dining vegetarian food preparation, and a look at the cultural and historical aspects of vegetarian eating practices, are addressed. The course includes a laboratory experience for the preparation of vegetarian foods and meals. Outside classroom sessions may also be required like visiting vegetarian restaurants and markets. Putting on an exhibition on vegetarian cuisine will enhance the student's skills and impart their knowledge to an audience. The course will focus on sustainability, zero waste production, and environmentally friendly thinking to prepare the students to become the chefs of tomorrow with the tools they need to continue creating the future of food.
- Vegan Dessert Creations
- Students will build upon their knowledge from the Essentials of Vegan Pastry & Desserts module and create plated vegan desserts for a fine dining experience with a key focus on aesthetics, styling, and presentation.
- The Professional Chef
- The Professional Chef covers topics such as wine and vegetarian food pairing, leadership skills, and how to communicate in a business environment. Modules covered:
- Nutrition & Health for Vegetarian Diets II
- Kitchen Management
- Wine, Beers & Cocktail Creations
- Service Etiquette
- Chef Leadership Skills
Award: Diploma in Vegetarian Culinary Arts
Join our Open Days
Are you dreaming of an exciting career in one of the world's largest, thriving industries?
Join our Open Days and discover our schools.